Sunday 11 October 2009

The One with Homecoming

This week has been pretty uneventful. Classes have been normal, although I did get my first 'B' on my US-Latin American Relations exam, which I was quite chuffed with. For Popular Culture this week Larry took us to Macado's where we ate nachos and talked about stuff. Not really a class, but Larry is awesome like that :)

On Thursday I went to Legends to see two local bands from Greensboro, Fear of Falling and Farewell. Meagan told me they were really good and they had been trying to get Farewell to come to App for years, so I went along, and I'm glad I did. It was a really good gig, packed with energy and really catchy tunes. They were really funny, and even though there weren't that many people there they still kept the atmosphere energetic :) I spoke to the lead singer afterwards when I went to the merch stand to buy CDs, and we were talking about England because they were there earlier this year on a tour.

The weather was beautiful on Friday, really hot with clear blue skies. We hoped it would stay the same for Homecoming, but I woke up on Saturday morning to grey skies and a chill in the air. However, I went to the Homecoming parade because it would be my only opportunity, it only happens once a year. There were various floats, the Army, the Marching Mountaineers complete with flag bearers and batont twirlers. They walked down Rivers Street then across to King Street, then each little group did a performance in front of the judges. My roommate's kazoo band won the best kazoo band award, which she was very proud of :)

Then it was the Homecoming game against North Carolina Central, and the stadium was packed even though the weather was rainy and grey. We had lots of fun watching the Marching Mountaineers, then they played the national anthem and then the game begun. We were 10 points up at the end of the first half, 24-14. Then they have a ceremony on the pitch where homecoming King and Queen are announced, and then the game commenced. We smashed them 55-21 in the end, which was an amazing victory :)

Looking forward to Washington now, but not looking forward to getting up at 5am on Thursday morning... but it should be a fun trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment