Tuesday 24 November 2009

The One with the Old Mountain Jug

To start off this post, here is a random fact: My roomate is ginger yet is allergic to carrots. I find that this gives me hours of amusement and is very ironic.

So, the reason why I haven't blogged in so long is because I have been SUPER busy with papers to write before Thanksgiving. My mother accused me of not blogging, so therefore to make her happy I will blog at half past seven in the morning when my eyes are still half closed and i really feel like jumping back into bed...

This week was the gig I have been excited about for quite a few weeks now - Anberlin, All American Rejects and Taking Back Sunday. It was doors at seven, so I dropped my stuff off in Becca's room, and then Becca, Marcella and I headed to the dining hall. We met Evelien, Riina, Emma, Lena and Maria there, had some food, then headed to the Convocation Center (about five minutes walk down Rivers Street). We had to wait in a line but it didn't take that long to get in. You have to have bags searched but not many of us brought bags luckily so we got in pretty quickly. We went to the restrooms then headed down to the floor (we had standing tickets). We got a space quite close to the front on the right side (stage left i guess), and stood around until eight when Anberlin came on. They were ok, they got the crowd going quite well but they were a but too heavy for my taste. It was good just to hear live music again though :)

The All American Rejects came on after a half hour break, and they came on in a very dramatic fashion. The lead singer was wearing black, tight glittery jeans and he was topless, but he had a design painted on his chest and back in glitter which looked very cool under the lights. They played all of their most popular singles, plus a few old ones and a couple off their newest album. It was a really good show - I think the singer was on more than adrenaline though, he looked crazed and was talking crazy talk. He called us his "little apples" because we're APPALachian state.... anyway, it was an awesome set and everyone was really loving it.

Taking Back Sunday were on last, and the singer is from Greensboro, North Carolina so I guess they were the favourites because they were kind of local. Their set was OK but I wasn't really familiar with any of their songs. There were loads of empty seats and space on the floor which I was surprised about, considering the tickets were only $20 I thought there would have been more people there... but it was still a very enjoyable show. After the gig we walked home, and ordered food in Becca's room. Her roomate is obsessed with the show Golden Girls, so we were subjected to that for a bit. I then left and walked up to the library to do some work, where I stayed until 7.30 in the morning.

At 12.15 the next day, having overslept because we had cinema tickets for the 1.00 showing of New Moon, I had to get dressed super fast and run up the hill to the bus stop. I got there in plenty of time though so it was all good. Becca, Marcella and I were very impressed by the film. It was such an improvement on the first one, and eveyrthing about it was better. At American cinemas apparently it is the common custom to clap at the end of films... strange if you ask me - it's not like it's a play and the actors can hear you...

This Saturday was the last scheduled home game for the Mountaineers. We had food in Trivette hall, then headed up to the stadium. We got seats right in the middle section, so it was a really good view. The atmosphere in the student section is always mental, everyone stands on the bleachers and most people are drunk :) It's all good fun though. It was only the second time I have stayed the entire game, because for some reason this game seemed to go quicker than usual - only 2.5 hours as opposed to 3/4 sometimes. We won the Battle for the Old Mountain Jug (a historic game between us and Western Carolina which is played every year.) The winning team gets a "jug" decorated with both team's mascots and logos on. It was a really good atmosphere at the end when we won :)

These past few days I've been trying to finish papers so I can have a stress-free Thanksgiving break. We're going on a little road trip, to Columbia SC first, then to Charleston, Myrtle Beach and Wilmington NC. I am most excited about Wilmington because we're going to visit some of the locations where One Tree Hill is filmed :D eeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! I'm really excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment